Thursday, February 15, 2024

What the flip is this about?

 I'm Figuring It Out

    Over the last couple of days, I've been trying to come up with an outline or general idea of the story I wanted to write about, since the concept has been a little difficult to cut down into a 5-minute short film, so far this all that I have. 

Outline:

Starts with girl in class being handed an assignment and the rest of her classmates gets the same assignment, as everyone starts, she tries to focus, staring at everyone working, she starts to flick her pencil and all of the sudden stares to stare into the distance. 

She closes and opens her eyes, she’s in a park, and little doodles start to go all around her. Music notes and drawings of different characters playing in her head. She sees people holding something, it looks kind of like a box but with different flaps of paper attached to it. She looks over and its people with a thin white surface, spreading color on it. Music starts to fade in, and she smiles wondering about all these beautiful things and then. Bam.

Slam on the table, she stares at her teacher which tells her to focus. She tries to get back into it. 

Next Scene:

Cuts to her at lunch with friends, “what happened back there?” “I just couldn’t focus” “have you been drifting off into your little world again?” “I feel like if you were in it you’d enjoy it” “well it’s going to get you kicked out of school, you know we’re not supposed to space out in class it’s part of the rules” there’s a pause between them, the girl contemplates what she’s about to say but says it anyway “don’t you ever think that the way we learn is so..” she thinks of her words “so what” “restricting” “I mean I’ve never questioned it, you get a lesson, practice material, test and then move on” “yeah but don’t you think there’s more to learning than just standard testing? that we can dictate what’s best for us to understand and learn?” “I feel like you're psyching yourself out, this is the way it’s always been” “but things change. the world has been evolving for years and the one thing that hasn’t changed is how we learn; don’t you think that’s weird” “whatever I’m gonna go study for my chemistry test” her friends walks away after giving her a weird look “this is exactly what I'm talking about!!” she sighs feeling defeated.

Yikes!

    Obviously, it's still a work in progress since I was mainly writing a really rough draft of the story. I like the first part of the draft because I feel like it gets the message across between what are characters feels in the main world and what they feel in their fantasy world, but I feel like it just jumps right into the main themes of the film, and I want to be able to develop it a little more without going way too over time. What I was picturing for the first part of the film is for most thing to be really high tech and modernize. I want to give the sense that this story basis on an alternate reality where creativity has been compressed and diminished. Any form of outside thinking is prohibited, and everything is by the rules. Kind of like a Fahrenheit 451 society.

    For next couple of days, I will be conducting research of various Sci-Fi films, and refer to one of my first ever blog post which was about the genre of Sci-Fi. Then I will be trying to develop the story a little more and plan out the next couple of steps in order for me to stay on track and start writing the script (my personal favorite part).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  The concept of “the ballad of bobby the blob” developed in a way that I was not expecting to come to me at all. Even though at first, I w...