Sunday, February 25, 2024

More Films?

 What Can I Say? I Love Movies

I have been researching different movies for my script and for the benefit of wanting to understand my characters more and their motives. Since most of the films or stories I have written in the past are more on the realism spectrum, going for something more formalist for this project has been a little difficult. Obviously not everything is formalist but working with a character that has no idea what is truly about is a little difficult, at least for me. One film that has really helped me understand these principles is the 2021 animated film, Luca. This is one of my favorite Pixar movies and rewatching it for the purpose of this project just made things so much better for me. For a little context, Luca follows the story of Luca Paguro, a sea monster that is not allowed near the surface of earth due to human fears of sea monsters attacking them. But one day he meets Alberto Scorfano, another sea monster who actually lives on the surface and seems to be doing pretty good. They become really great friends, as Alberto teaches Luca everything he needs to know about the surface and how awesome it really is. This theme really helped me structure idea of how I want to present Earth at first to Bobby since I want to represent the good parts of being on this planet but then later demonstrate the bad parts that most people tend to judge and want to change. 

Continuing the film, Luca's parents discover that he has been going to the surface and hanging out with Alberto which they then ban him from seeing him ever again and plan to send him to live with his uncle at the depths of the ocean (I know right who do they think they are). Obviously, Luca goes back to see Alberto and they devise a plan to get away, so he isn't sent to the deep with his uncle (Alberto is just the best right).  They ended up going into the mainland and have a whole adventure together alongside their friend Giulia. For my project, I really want to build this feeling of adventure between Bobby and Julia when first exploring the good parts of Earth, I plan on having them visit the beach, try different foods, going to a mall and exploring the beauty of music and art. 

Later in Luca, they enter a competition and Luca and Alberto get really discriminated by this guy named Ercole who is suspicious they are sea monster. At the end of the film, Alberto and Luca get into a huge fight they are discovered, but in the end, everything is resolved, and they live happily ever after. With my film, I'm still figuring out the conflict between Bobby and Luca because I don't know if I want them to have a conflict or because I want part of Julia's life to be a little difficult which makes Bobby realize how there is still cruelty in this world. This part I'm still trying to figure out and plus with my writer's block on top it's been a minute since I have written. I think something to help me which I will be working on is an outline in order for me to have all events ready in my head and then just be able to put them in the script as they flow nicely. But that will be an update for the next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  The concept of “the ballad of bobby the blob” developed in a way that I was not expecting to come to me at all. Even though at first, I w...