Thursday, February 29, 2024

Describe Writing

 Writing = Hard

    I don't think people understand the amount of brain strength it takes to write a good script. Today in class I met with my advisor to talk about some aspects of the script I have been either questioning or struggling with and now I feel a lot better about many parts of the dialogue but the overall message and theme of the story is something I need to focus on before going forward. 

Dialogue


When first talking to her, I had warned her that my script was pretty long around 12 pages, so we talked about ways to cut it down and make it better. At the beginning of my script, I told to my advisor that I feel that the animations won't take up so much screen time considering that the first couple seconds of my animations as of right now are 6 seconds which includes around half of the page. So, let's just say I'm pretty confident I won't be going super overtime. We also talked about how we can cut down on some lines including "always nice on the worst days and the sunshine of the rainiest days." since we already introduced him as the happiest Blob.

Also, in this part of the beginning we discussed how instead of describing how the world looks just to be more straightforward. I think something that I struggle when writing scripts or any type of story is showing not telling. I feel like I tend to write to much of what I am already showing in the film within my script so for this project I feel that I can improve that by being super nitpicky on the way I show things and the dialogue I am writing.

Story and Theme

    Something super valuable that I discussed with my advisor was why I wrote the ending the way I did. At first, I honestly didn't know what to answer because I felt that I didn't have any valid reason for the ending that I wrote. But then once we discussed it a little more, I realized that the ending I wrote felt incomplete. The ending is basically Bobby going a crossover point where Althea meets with him. Althea explains to him that he gets another chance at life on Earth to continue to spread his goodness with his personality and heart. I came to the conclusion that this ending just felt really incomplete due to the idea that we never see what Bobby does on Earth and we get all these questions to why did he get to go back? And if he stays on Earth than how is this a quest?

    After thinking with my teacher, we agreed on expanding the last conversation Julia and Bobby have within the film to stick to the main theme that I am trying to go for which is:

Being kind wherever you go and appreciating the things around you!

    
    Cheesy I know but! I think understanding Bobby and Julia more while talking to my advisor is something that I really needed to take into consideration specially because these are people I am creating and people that have meanings and purposes that I need to be able to identify and explain when talking to my actors and considering their motives. For example, when talking to my advisor I realized that one action that Bobby takes within the script is controversial for his character and the theme of the film. Anyways, the point: there are many things to consider. I will be sharing the first draft of the script and then uploading the second draft on a later post :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  The concept of “the ballad of bobby the blob” developed in a way that I was not expecting to come to me at all. Even though at first, I w...