Thursday, March 28, 2024

How do you edit?

 It's a Process

    For the last couple of hours, I have dedicated my time to finish editing the first 2 scenes of the film before going out to film, and let's just say I have been very successful. I started editing by importing all of the clips I filmed into Adobe Premiere Pro. 
I like to keep myself organized while editing so I know where I can find certain audio clips that I will need including dialogue, sound effects, music, etc. So far, I have organized the Project Bin section into 7 different folders since there are 7 different scenes in the film. Once I made the folders, I put the clips that I filmed to their corresponding bins (Meet and Car Pt.1) so I could slip the work and not waste so much time looking for the shot that I need. 
    Next, I started to assemble all the clips on the timeline in their correct order. Since all the audio of the dialogue was already synced with the video clips, I mainly just focused on blending them well together by using the effect Constant power between audio clips. One thing that I had to deal with though is to make sure there was no continuity error. When filming I didn't notice that the actors do different actions between takes so I had to find ways to avoid the continuity whether it was extending a shot longer than I originally wanted it to be or zooming into the shot so you could not see the other persons actions during a dialogue scene. 

Color Grading and Correction

    
    Once I finalized putting the clips together to my liking, I began color correcting all the shots that might have been a little over exposed, or just needed extra details so they could look better. Then after color correcting all the shots, my process of color grading is pretty easy (I think). Basically, what I do is that I go to a specific part of the scene and especially during back-and-forth conversations, I just color grade one shot of the conversation, then I color grade the opposite shot of the conversation and then I copy and paste it into every other clip within the scene. 
    
So, for this conversation between Julia and Bobby I only picked one of the cuts from each perspective so I wouldn't have to go in and individually color grade every single cut of the conversation. 

Audio

    Now that I finished with all aspects of the shots, I went back to audio to add extra details so the film could come to life. 
    For the very beginning of the sequence, Bobby is very overwhelmed by all the incoming sounds of Earth and to make it as realistic as possible, I overlapped loud birds chirping, a dog barking, and an ear ringing noise to show the frustration within Bobby when coming to Earth. Once Bobby calms down, I added a more relaxing outdoor ambient sounds underneath the rest of the scene to smooth out the audio of the dialogue a little better. 
    Next, I looked for music, and to be completely honest. Music is the hardest part of editing because it's hard to find songs that really match your film but during my time in California, I found the perfect website that I can use to find music for my film. Fesliyan studios has a huge library of different types of songs including angry, sad, funny, suspenseful, and so much more. Once I found the songs, I wanted for the film I imported them into Adobe and timed them perfectly, so they blended in nicely with the rest of the audio. Lastly, I did some extra foley sound effects to add extra details to the actors' actions such as footsteps. 

Original Score?

    On Tuesday I was hanging out with my friend Martin because he needed help with his own AICE Media Portfolio Project but for AS level. Before filming, he showed me some songs that he had been producing for the film opening. Even though some of the songs he had made were not going to be used I asked him if there was, I chance I could include his music in my project. I feel that Martin is really talented, and he deserves for his music to be more recognized so, I got the rights for the song and now two of his songs are going to be featured within the film.  The Credits Song and the Montage Song are both going to be featured within the film. You can use the link to listen to both songs, and honestly, I really recommend, they are amazing!! Next up, more production!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

  The concept of “the ballad of bobby the blob” developed in a way that I was not expecting to come to me at all. Even though at first, I w...